CAFE WRITERS POETRY COMPETITION 2021
OPENS 1st SEPTEMBER 2021
Closing Date 30th November 2021
Five Commended Prizes of £50
Norfolk Prize £100
For the best poem from a permanent Norfolk resident not winning another prize.
£4 per poem; or £10 for 3 poems & £2 per poem thereafter.
We are offering the concession of a free entry of one poem to any UK resident with a household income of less than £16,000 for whom the cost of entering would be prohibitive. Your status to claim this will be taken on trust. See below how we would like you to indicate this.
Sole Judge Philip Gross
Philip Gross latest collections are Between The Islands (Bloodaxe, 2020) and Troeon/Turnings (Seren, 2021) with Welsh language poet Cyril Jones. He won the T.S. Eliot Prize in 2009, a Cholmondeley Award in 2017, and is a keen collaborator – with artist Valerie Coffin Price on A Fold In The River (Seren, 2015), with poet Lesley Saunders on A Part of the Main (Mulfran, 2018) and with scientists on Dark Sky Park (Otter-Barry, 2018). www.philipgross.co.uk
Prizewinners will be notified in writing by 28th February 2022.
The list of prizewinners will be displayed on the website, social media and mailing lists after the prize-giving event at Café Writers on 14th March 2022.
- Closing date for receipt of entries: 30th November 2021
- The maximum length for each poem is 40 lines excluding the title.
- The Prize is open to anyone other than Café Writers committee members.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been published, self-published, published on any website or broadcast.
- We regret that entries cannot be returned.
- Entries must be in English.
- Each poem should start a new page and have no identifying marks other than the title.
- No corrections can be made after receipt, nor fees refunded.
- Worldwide copyright of each entry remains with the author, but Café Writers will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning poems on its website and in press releases publicising the competition.
- The Norfolk Prize is awarded to a permanent Norfolk resident, for a poem not winning another prize.
- The judge’s decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into.
Entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the entry requirements will result in disqualification.
Receipt: Cafe Writers attempts to acknowledge all email receipts although these may be blocked by spam blockers. Postal entries can enclose a stamped addressed postcard marked ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.
Results: Results will be published on our website, social media and mailing lists. Postal entries can include a stamped addressed envelope marked ‘Results’.
TO ENTER BY POST:
You can download and print off an entry form WITH POSTAL ADDRESS here as a PDF
TO ENTER AND PAY ONLINE using Paypal:
1. Construct a document
Save your poems in A SINGLE Word document or PDF, allowing only ONE POEM PER PAGE, using page breaks to make certain of this. We would like the font to be 12 point Times New Roman, single spaced in Black. Pages should not be numbered, there should be no colour, pictures or borders used.
Please include no name, address or identifying marks (other than the poem’s title) to the attachment containing your poems, information about you will all be in the COVERING EMAIL.
2. Attach the document to an email
As the subject heading to your email, please write your name and the name of the Paypal account if it is different from your own and add the word Concession if you are entering one poem and claiming the free entry for poets on a low household income. In the body of the covering email include your name, address, email address and titles of your poem/s.
3. Send to:
email@example.com (please cut and paste this address to limit the amount of SPAM we receive)
You will be sent a receipt of your entry via email, although sometimes these get blocked by spam blockers
4. Please pay for online entries using Paypal below, or put the word Concession in the subject heading for your email.
If you are able to pay for an extra poem to help fund a concessionary entry please add a donation at the checkout, £4 is ideal, but you can add any amount you like.
Please click here to pay for your entry.