The Cafe Writers OPEN POETRY COMPETITION 2019
Five Commended Prizes of £50
Norfolk Prize £100
(best poem from a permanent Norfolk resident not winning another prize)
£4 per poem; or £10 for 3 poems & £2 per poem thereafter
Sole Judge Zaffar Kunial
Published by Faber & Faber, Zaffar Kunial’s debut book — ‘Us’ (2018) — was shortlisted for the T. S. Eliot Prize, the Costa Poetry Award, the Roehampton Poetry Prize and the Rathbones Folio Prize, and was a Poetry Book Society Wild Card Choice. Previously a Faber New Poet, Zaffar has also been a prizewinner in the National Poetry Competition and has won the Geoffrey Dearmer Prize and a Northern Writers’ Award.
- Closing date for receipt of entries: 1st December 2019
- Maximum of 40 lines (excluding title and stanza breaks) on one side of A4.
- The Prize is open to anyone other than Café Writers’ committee members.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been published, self-published, published on any website or broadcast.
- We regret that entries cannot be returned.
- Entries must be your own original work and in English.
- No corrections can be made after receipt, nor fees refunded.
- Entries must show no name, address or identifying marks other than the title.
- Worldwide copyright of each entry remains with the author, but Café Writers will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning poems on its website and in press releases publicising the competition.
- The Norfolk Prize is awarded to a permanent Norfolk resident, for a poem not winning another prize.
- The judge’s decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered
Entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the entry requirements will result in disqualification.
TO ENTER AND PAY ONLINE using Paypal:
PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY IN ORDER THAT ORDER PREVAILS!
Save your poems in A SINGLE Word document or PDF, allowing only ONE POEM PER PAGE, and add as an attachment to a covering email which will include your name, address, email address and titles of your poems.
And please include no name, address or identifying marks (other than the poem’s title) to the attachment containing your poems.
As the subject heading to your email, please write your name and the title of the first poem in your attachment.
Send to: email@example.com (please cut and paste this address to limit the amount of SPAM we receive)
You will be sent a receipt of your entry via email.
Please pay for online entries using Paypal here: